Tizona Cid Brass Cadet Sword
The first reference to Tizona appears in the Cantar de Mío Cid, where it is called Tizón. This name, according to the Treasury of the Castilian or Spanish language of 1611, comes from the Latin titio, a synonym for "ember, burning wood".
In the year 1503, Gonzalo de Bricio, by order of the Queen Isabel La Católica, makes an inventory of the weapons that were in the Alcázar of Segovia, and among which "La Tizona" is described.
Between the years 1560 and 1621, Fray Prudencio de Sandoval in his chronicle of the Kings of Castilla y León, mentions the Tizona that the Marquises of Falces have in their entailment, and that apparently was ceded to them by King Fernando El Católico as a reward for their services, with the condition that they take it to the Palace so that they could swear the Kings of Spain.
In 1936 he disappeared from his home, with the documents of granting and legitimation. The sword reappeared after the Civil War, in 1939, in the castle of Figueras, from where it was transferred to the Army Museum in Madrid. Later it was acquired by the Junta de Castilla y León with the help of private donations for 1.6 million euros. The final destination of the same will be the Cathedral of Burgos where the remains of the champion are buried.
IO SOI TISONA WAS DATED IN THE MILE QUARENTA ERA
AVE MARIA GRATIA PLENA DOMINUS TECUM